The first Rector of what was to become Yale College, the Rev. Abraham Pierson held its first classes in his Killingworth parsonage where he began instruction with eight students. Pierson, a Harvard graduate, was the minister of the Killingworth Congregational Church at the same time he started to teach the first classes of what would become Yale University.
Dr. Benjamin Gale, a 1733 graduate of Yale, was a preeminent physician during a time before medical schools when doctors undertook apprenticeships with practicing physicians in order to learn their trade. For a time, Killingworth was a distinguished center for such studies due in no small part to Dr. Gale’s publication in 1765 of a paper on the importance of smallpox vaccination.
In the eighteenth century, Killingworth’s school districts were the Tower Hill, Roast Meat Hill, Meeting House, and Parmelee. The Tower Hill, Roast Meat Hill, and Parmelee schools were consolidated into the Union District school in 1800. By the mid nineteenth century, the town had eight school districts, each with its own one room schoolhouse. The districts were Center, Southwest, Chestnut Hill, Union, Lane, Pine Orchard, Stone House and Black Rock. The one room schoolhouses were used until 1949. All of the schoolhouses still stand.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow’s “The Birds of Killingworth” an ecological fable which appeared as part of his multicultural “Tales of a Wayside Inn.” Continues the long tradition of Killingworth’s educational history. The Wayside Inn’s stories are openly concerned with environmental sensitivity, religious tolerance, political freedom, and charity.
HERE & NOW
A martial arts studio based on three equal pillars: Love, Seva, and Satyagraha. Healing, Learning, and Co-Creating are the methods by which we endeavor to represent the first, highest principles of love, seva, and satyagraha.
To keep safe, continue, and build upon the many healing, learning and loving ceremonies and lessons introduced to Someday Farm by Pat Worth.
To become enlightened.